Monday, October 01, 2012

31 days of Fitness-Day1- My Metamorphosis Monday

First of all, welcome to all my new followers!  Many of you are here because you saw my 31 day topic on the Nester, I am so glad you are here!  If you want to know about the start of my fitness journey, check out this post.  You can also look back on some previous fitness posts here.  

Before I start this series I just want to say this up front- I am not a professional.  What I share of the next 31 days and beyond that, is based on my own personal knowledge and research.  While I am educated (B.A. in psychology, B.A. in sociology, and M.A in Education) I do not have a fitness or health background (I leave health issues to my nursing student husband).  I will try and share where I get my information from, but most of it is just knowledge I have gained over the last few months by reading and looking up fitness stuff that I was curious about.

Also, before you start any new healthy lifestyle (it's a lifestyle, not a diet- diets don't work) or exercise program, make sure you check with your doctor!  

Ok now that we got through all that, on to 31 days of Fitness Day 1!


Week 9, L& A Week 3
Starting Weight 161
Body Fat %: 34.3
Muscle %: 34

Metamorphosis: 

met·a·mor·pho·sis

[met-uh-mawr-fuh-sis] Show IPA
noun, plural met·a·mor·pho·ses [-seez] Show IPA.
1. Biology . a profound change in form from one stage to the next in the life history of an organism, as from the caterpillar to the pupa and from the pupa to the adult butterfly.
2.a complete change of form, structure, or substance, as transformation by magic or witchcraft.
3. any complete change in appearance, character, circumstances, etc.
4. a form resulting from any such change.
What a great word, Metamorphosis.  It just sounds cool... Seriously, say it out loud. The way it rolls off the tongue... awesome.  It also makes me think of Matrix (Morpheus, get it...no, just me,ok moving on).  Change is good, change is scary too, but good, especially the change I am doing- improving my health.



Started the week off great Walked almost 3.6 miles on Monday (my 60 minute walk day, which is farther than last week!)  I also knocked my 5k time down from 58:38 to 54:15!!  That was super excited.  My ultimate goal is 45 minutes, but my next mini goal is under 50 minutes.  In total this week I walked 6 days- my plan is 5.  On Saturday I decided to just walk, with no time, distance or speed in mind... and boy did I walk!  I unintentionally walked my first 10k! It wasn't that fast (2 hours and 11 minutes) but it was fun!

I only did 5 workouts this week (I am doing Beachbody's Power 90 program for those of you that do not know).  My plan is 6, but since Saturday was a Cardio/Abs day I figured I did enough cardio with my 2 hour walk!

I made some good food choices during the week, but not so good the weekend.  There was Qdoba and Taco Bell in there.

I am also retaining water for some reason (for the last 2 weeks).  Either that or my body is permanently deciding to store more water.  For the first 7 weeks I was in the 47% range, for week 8 and 9 I have been consistently in the 48% range (usually mid 48% but some days were close to 49%)  Not going to worry too much about it.  It could be my bad food choices, hormones, or just my body wanting to store more water.

My bad food choices, unfortunately caused me to have change- but in the wrong direction :-(

Ending Weight: 161.4 (up .4)
Body Fat %: 34.6 (up .3)
Muscle %: 34.4 (up .4) at least there was some positive change!

Next week my goals are:
6 walks- going to try and plan a longer walk/hike on the weekend- just a fun walk, no time, distance, or speed goal
6 Power 90 workouts- I am moving to Phase 3-4, super excited!  They will be tougher.
Extra Zumba workouts- on days I don't meet my needed calorie deficit. (I used a Bodybugg to track this, there will be a post sometime this month about this super cool gadget)
Stick to my food plan better (though as I write this I am already failing at this- pizza for lunch/dinner today :-( )
1000 calorie deficit with my bodybugg everyday (this is my plan that was set up with the bodybugg program).

Now it's your turn... I would love to hear mini versions of your story- when did you start your fitness journey?  What changes have you seen?  What areas do you struggle with?

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Dropping by from 31 Days. I had a really successful year (15 months, even) of weight loss and fitness improvement, then, earlier this year, I lost my job. The last six months or so have not been pretty from a self-care perspective. I'm trying to get re-focused, and hoping that reading about others' journeys will help.

Kristina Burke said...

Hi Cheri, thanks for stopping by. I understand about the self-care perspective when losing a job. I lost my job in May of 2011, still don't have a steady job. I have many a days when I feel so crappy I don't want to get out of bed. All you can do is take it one day at a time. Hope you find some tips here to help you!

Sugarr2518 said...

I just saw your blog from the 31 Days and I thought that I would stop by:) Isn't it a great feeling to start back into a fitness routine? I have also started a new lifestyle that include eating healthier, and exercising more! I can't wait to see how your 31 days go:)

Sugarr2518 said...

Hi, I'm just stopping by from the 31 Days challenge and I saw your topic and thought I would check it out! Isn't it great getting back into a healthier lifestyle? That's what I have been doing also and it's the best feeling in the world:) I can't wait to see your progress!!