Tuesday, October 09, 2012

31 days of Fitness- Day 9- Technolgy Tuesdays- Bodybugg




 That black strap on my arm is my BodyBugg





I love this gadget, it has been so helpful.  I only got it a few weeks ago but it has made a world of difference.  What is it?  It is a device that uses multiple sensors to track how many calories I burn, how many steps I take, how much time I am active, and with the website I can also keep track of how much calories I consume.  The website also walks you through the steps to create your own fitness plan based on what your fitness goals are- lose weight, maintain, gain, build muscle, etc.

It took a little time to get everything set up and my Iphone didn't like to stay linked to the bugg at first; I had to keep entering the password for the bluetooth, but after a few days it was working great.  I wear it almost all day.  I take it off when I shower, which is also when I upload the data (you don't have to upload the data every day- I think it holds 14 days- but since I am trying to lose weight, I like to keep a close eye on things) and charge the device.  I also have found myself taking it off very early in the morning (like 4 am) and keeping it off till I wake up.  This is probably because, while the device is pretty small and pretty flat, its on my left arm and I like to sleep on my left side, so it bothers me.

When I first used the device I was surprised at my plan and a little concerned.  The food consumed part was fine- (1450)it was about 50 calories lower than the plan I was doing before I started using the Bugg... However the calories burn is 2450!  Since my workouts only maybe gave me 700 calories a day, I didn't think there was any way I could do this... But I quickly learned you burn calories every minute of the day.  No matter if you are moving around, or sitting at the computer like I am now, you are burning calories.  While I have had a few days I didn't meet my calorie burn goal, I have also had a few days when I went way over.  Those two goals are really the important ones- the important one is your Deficit goal (Calories Burned- Calories Consumed).  My goal is 1,000.  So no matter how much I eat I want to burn 1,000 calories more.  And you don't have to hit 1,000 every day, just on average for the week.  Some days I am only at 800, some days I am at 1200 so it evens out.

My real only complaint about the device is that the food database isn't very good.  I have been using an app on my phone mynetdiary, to look up foods that aren't in the Bugg database and then I just copy over the information.  I do hope the database gets better so I can take out this extra step.

This device has been great.  And I love that the website gave me a plan to follow, so even though I do not know much about fitness, I can still succeed at my goals of losing weight and getting in shape.


Check out this cool gadget here.






Now its your turn... do you use the Bodybugg?  Do you use another similar device?  What do you like, or not like about your device?