Monday, November 21, 2011

Emergency Preparedness Kits

Just a quick post for you today.....got a lot on my to do list before we head out of town on Wednesday.   Going to try and get the frames done and update the food blog before I leave... can't guarantee much else.

Here are just a few tips for you if you are wanting to start an emergency preparedness kit... (and it is a good thing for everyone to have!)

This week/weekend as you do laundry (and every week after that till you have enough).... instead of throwing away the lint from the lint trap... store it in a qallon sized ziplock bag.  Once your bag is full its ready to be added to your kit.  Have one bag for each kit (which you should have one kit for each family member).  Why?  Easy, Free Fire Starter Help!  Thanks to my dad for this tip (I think he got it from one of his safety magazines at work, but he didn't pass on the copyright info to me).

Also, I saw Hand Warmers in Target's dollar bins last week.  You know those things that you just squeeze, they pop and ta da Instant Heat...

Even better I saw a bigger package of the same Hand Warmers at Home Depot for like $1.50.  Pick some up while you are out doing some shopping and set them aside (maybe in one of those big shipping boxes the UPS brings some of your christmas presents in...) till you are ready to make your kits.

As soon as you can, sit down and write a list of everything you need for the kits (sometime soon I will be providing such a list) and keep it in your wallet... this way when you are out shopping you can check the sales racks and pick up some stuff on the list (You can find a lot of what you need at dollar stores too!).  As you get items, just keep adding them to your box.  Once your list is done (or at least done enough that you can go shopping and get the rest of it one day) set aside a day to actually pack the kits. 

Stay tuned for more Emergency Preparedness Tips!

2 comments:

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls said...

Hey I had never thought of actually USING the lint from my dryer! That's a great idea. I'll slip some in my instant campfire bags ... (I put wood and newspaper in an old flour sack ... makes it easy to carry out to the fire pit when we want to have a fire!)

Kristina Burke said...

I didn't ever think of it either and when my dad first told me I thought he was going crazy... but it makes sense if you think about it. You are told to clean the lint trap because it can cause fires, so why not use the lint to start fires when you want to!