Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgivng

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that those of you who went shopping- survived!  I had a great Thanksgiving.  It was small, quiet, and relaxing.  What?  Those words can never be used to describe a big holiday?  Oh well, sorry, they fit!

Originally my husband was supposed to work on Thanksgiving, but his shift was cancelled.  So, in the morning we spent some time doing a little cleaning and I exercised.  Then, around 1:30 we headed to my parents. 

It was just my parents, Chad and I, and one of my uncles.  See- small.

We had quite a bit of food options, but not so much food that we will be eating it for the next week.  In fact, Chad and I only brought home some ham for sandwiches today.

We had turkey loaf (my dad loves it... he's weird), ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with brown sugar and pecans in it, fresh steamed green beans, crescent rolls, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, pineapple tidbits, peppers, carrots, celery with cream cheese or PB and cranberries.  Dessert was gooey butter cake and then later in the day we had Spinach artichoke dip and chips.

I think I did really well with eating.  Had alot of the fruit and veggies.  I only had one small spoonful of stuffing, one roll, and no gravy or dessert.  I made a point to only eat what I like and to make sure my plate had more veggies and fruit than anything else.  I did eat the dip and chips and paid for it later- too much garlic lol.  I drank water all day, except for 2 sips of my husbands soda to help get rid of the garlic taste.  I helped clean up and load the dishwasher, so there was only a few pots and pans left for my mom to take care of.

After we ate, mom and I went to Michaels.  She wanted some cricuit cartridges and I needed a new blade for my paper cutter.  Since I braved the store with her, she bought my blade and a paper creaser for the paper cutter too.

Then, we went back to her house, where the boys had apprently spent the time we were gone talking (since none of them had moved while we were gone).  Everyone but my dad (he is a party pooper sometimes!) played Mexican Train Dominos (I won! :-) ).  I admit, it wasn't always quiet during the game, but we did have alot of fun.

It was very nice to not have to come home and cook food, or do dishes.  We had some leftovers from the week at our house, so for Thanksgiving and Black Friday we did cereal/oatmeal for breakfast, and leftovers for lunch and dinner.  For Friday's dinner, and Saturday, I am making Chicken Sausages but they just have to be heated.  It is very nice to be able to take a few days off from cooking.

I was going to give blood on Friday- my first time ever!  But, I ended up canceling it because I was just so tired and my back was hurting from all the extra workouts this week.  I will give blood before the end of the year though- that's my promise to all of you!  Like I said, I never have before, and with all of the blessings God has given us the past 19 months since I lost my job, I really feel like I need to pay it forward a big and do something for other people.  And do something out of my comfort zone- and voluntarily giving blood is definitely out of my comfort zone... I am not a fan of needles or blood!

Chad and I will put up the Christmas decorations this weekend, so that is exciting.  Advent starts soon, so we will start doing that too.  December is always a bit crazy for us with all the different sides of the family to juggle... and this year I will be starting my job in December as well, so it will be even crazier.  So, it was very nice to have a small, quiet, relaxing Thanksgiving. 

Now it's your turn- How was your Thanksgiving?  Quiet and small, or Loud and Big?  Does your family do anything around this time of year to help those worse off than you? 

No comments: