Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanks Board


 

I have finally finished a project that I have been working on since... last October!


Isn't it awesome!!!  I am pretty happy with how it turned out, even with my alterations....  The point of the board?  A tradition for our family for the month of November.  Each day we write what we are thankful for on our card (Mine has orange tassels- duh, and Chad has brown.  Later when we have kids we will add some for them, but I think we will have to redo the board and add double pockets... it was a tight fit for our 2 cards).  Each year we just add it on to the same card.

I got the idea off Pinterest, had seen a few different ones... I did do mine a bit differently though.

Materials
Wood Board
Brown Paint
Mod Podge
Scrapbook Paper
Ribbon
30 Coin Envelopes
Hole Punch


Directions
1. Get a wood board.  I used plywood and got the nice guys at Home Depot to cut it to 24" x 28".  Prime it and paint it whatever fall color you wish.  I used a tannish brown color.
2. Take your coin envelopes and cut them down to 3 3/4" tall....  Make sure you cut off the top part so it is already opened to insert cards into later.
3.  Use mod podge (or a glue stick!) To adhere the scrapbook paper to the front of the envelope- cutting it down to the same size as your envelopes.
4.  Lay your cards on your board.  I did 5 rows of 6 each.  I moved them around so no two of the same paper were next to each other.
5.  Use a cricuit or Silhoutte or even store bought stickers, or stnencils to cut out the number 1-30 and the title "Give Thanks"
6.  Use mod podge to glue the numebrs on to the cards and then modpodge over the entire front of the card to cover your scrapbook paper.  It makes it sturdier.
7.  Here you can do to options- hole punch two holes on the top of the envelope and put some ribbon through.. or hole punch your cards that go into the envelope and add ribbon to the top.
8.  Use glue to adhere your envelopes to the board.  I used Mod Podge because I had it, but a glue gun would probably work well too.
9.  Adhere your title.  Mod Podge over the whole phrase to make it match the rest of the board and last. (I added this before I put the envelopes on......see below for an additional comment about this)
10.  Cut cardstock to slide into your envelopes


Comments
Umm yeah so I couldn't find my directions when I actually got around to making it... which caused me to have to make some changes.  I put the title on first, which would of been fine and all, except I placed it on the wrong edge of the board... which means my envelopes were too big to all fit on the board.  So I cut an inch off each envelope and each of my cards that went into the envelope.  Problem solved- and now my board is an original lol. I also didn't like the ribbon on the envelope, so add it to the top of the card... also gives you something easier to pull out to write on them.  I think we will have to redo the board at a later date, because there was barely enough room for 2 cards (Chad and I) so I don't know how we will fit 4 more in (we want 4 kids).  But, I really like how it turned out for now.  We also have a tradition started, which I love :-)

So, what do you think!?



This post was shared on:

1 comment:

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

This is such a great idea!! I'm so glad you got it done and can use it this year. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!