Tuesday, September 04, 2012

52 Dates Wedding Present

My brother is getting married this weekend, and Chad and I wanted to get them a gift.  However, money has been tight, so I decided to make something.  After much thinking and researching I came up with this idea to create 52 dates for them- one for each week in their first year of marriage.  Most dates costs little to nothing and where I could, we provided everything needed for the date.  Some involve the kids (she has 2 from a previous marriage) and some are just for the two of them.  Each date is in its own envelope- different sized envelopes depending on what the date needed.  Most of the supplies I already had, so I spent very little on creating the items.  It may cost you more, depending on your supplies.  Be creative- you don't have to do everything the way I did, use what you got to make it cost less.

Supplies needed:
Envelopes, stickers, ribbon, scissors, markers/pens, glue, and misc items to decorate (use what you have!)
A box or container to store everything in- I am using a spare rubbermaid container I had here, I will decorate the outside with stickers and what not and this is what I will take as the gift.
52 dates- I will list all the ones I have, but some are specific to our city, so you will need to substitute for what you have.
Any items you need for the dates-  Just some things included in the box- M&Ms, coloring books, crayons, money, massage oils, card games, life savers, a journal, 2 disposable cameras (had left over from my wedding :-) ) and a few other things.
Time- this takes a good amount of time to put together

The directions for each date were written on an index card, (if there was ways to expand the date that was listed on the back of the card) and placed in the sized envelope it needed for things to not get smashed.  On the outside of the envelope was the Date Title and then a little sticker that had details (kid friend or adults only, $ required, etc.)

In the card I will tell them that they can look at the outside of the envelopes but once they open it, they can't pick a new date till they do that one.  That was why I put if the date required items on their part so if they didn't want to spend money on that date, they could draw a date that didn't require it.  Plus if it requires special things (one requires a lightening storm).

I am hoping they have alot of fun....

I got alot of ideas from Dating Divas .  If you are needed some date ideas, they are an invaluable resource.

I can't post the dates here, because I don't want to spoil the surprises for them, but if you are interested, send me your email address and I can email you the list.

Mom and I are talking about putting kits together and selling them, but that will be a while down the road because some of the dates will have to be changed since they are St. Louis specific items.  Also if I am going to sell it I want it to my ideas, not ones I used from another site.

I really think they will enjoy it, or at least I hope so.  The first year of marriage can be rough, especially if you don't spend time together, so hopefully having 52 dates all ready for them, they won't have to waste time on "what do you want to do tonight" and can just enjoy the time they have together.

If they give me any updates, I will let you know what they say.




No comments: