Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Happy Birthday, to my husband




Today was my husband's birthday. I started another tradition. I woke him up at 12:01, when I went to bed and told him Happy Birthday. I can't wait till we have children and I can do this to them as well. Other than that, the day was a pretty normal day for us. He went to work, we had dinner when he came home (his mom made these yummy pork steaks and there were sweet potatoes and veggies). He had been hinting for the last few days he wanted cake, but of course we played it off like we weren't going to get him a cake. Then, after dinner I brought out a very yummy ice cream cake. Then we did dishes, packed lunches for the next day, and Chad and I went to the basement (where we live) to watch a movie. He got to pick (the only time I usually let him pick-his birthday) what we watched, and we watched Julie & Julia. Very cute movie, was the reason i started a blog so long ago (a blog which has since been deleted and I now have a different one). I am not sure this will be one of his most memorable birthdays, but these are the days I love. The casual days, the cuddle on the couch days. The days when we just get to be together.

Of course, like most days like these, the topic of kids comes up usually. And today, well I think it was one of the first times that I had to be the sensible one and say it wasn't a good time yet. Usually, that is his job. But I think the fact that it was his birthday, made him think about his biological clock and how he doesn't want to be old and gray before his children graduate high school. I can't wait for kids. He will make an excellent father. I can't wait to have a screaming baby wake me in the middle of the night, or to spend the whole day cleaning up messes, or all the thousand and one other things that change when you have a baby. But, then again, I can. I want to be able to provide a stable environment for my children, and we just don't have that yet.

So for now the traditions will have to start with just my husband and I.

No comments: